TT journalist expelled from Antigua

Gordon is quoted in the Antigua Sun yesterday, the newspaper which Khelawan was Managing Director and Editor-in-Chief, as saying Khelawan was not on the island to do business and therefore did not require a work permit, but was there to clear his mail and attend to personal matters.

Gordon said her client’s passport and ticket were valid for three days. She added once these procedures were done, “immigration officials had no lawful right to take Khelawan into custody and expel him.”

Khelawan who is back in Trinidad told Newsday yesterday he was kicked out by the Baldwin Spencer government for political reasons. Khelawan, who has been working in that country since 1998, said from time to time, certain people would complain that they were not being fairly treated by the daily newspaper, but, he added, “I never thought it would have come to this.” The journalist who has worked in several Caribbean countries including St Kitts and St Lucia said he entered Antigua/Barbuda on Tuesday, intending to stay for three days to do “personal business” and had already cleared Customs and Immigration when he was picked up and ordered out of the country.

Shortly after, he was escorted to his Liat flight on Tuesday, Lennox Linton former manager of the Observer Radio was also given marching orders.

The Leader of the Opposition Antigua Labour Party, Lester Bird has condemned the government’s action saying it is an attack on “free speech.” But Antigua Labour Commissioner Kesketh Williams, in an interview in the Antigua Sun, said certain amendments had to be made to the country’s laws to fully implement the Free Movement Act in the country.

Labour Minister, Dr Jacqui Quinn-Leandro in an article headlined “Job Well Done”in the Antigua Observer, commended local officials for ordering Khelawan out, saying that they were only doing their job.

Khelawan, who is in talks with the local CSME Unit and with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs about the issue, confirmed that his work permit had expired in December 2006, and a request for a renewal was denied. He said he is prepared to take legal action to resolve the issue.

Comments

"TT journalist expelled from Antigua"

More in this section