She faked kidnapping to raise $100,000

Kyna Rampersad of Sangre Grande stood still in the dock as Justices Wendell Kangaloo and Ivor Archie ordered her to serve 100 hours of community service at an institution to be chosen by the Community Service Department. Failure to serve the community service would result in Rampersad being jailed for two months.

The court heard that on February 2, 2005, officers of the Anti-Kidnapping Squad received a report from one Karen De Freitas that her daughter Kyna had been kidnapped. As a result, PC Dana George of the AKS, began investigations and interviewed several persons.

PC George later found Rampersad at the home of Shaun Joseph in Mount D’Or Road, Champs Fleurs. The investigator spoke with Joseph who responded: “She and I planned this to get some money.”

When Rampersad was interviewed, she replied: “I was not kidnapped, I and Shaun planned this to get money from my family.” Both Rampersad and Joseph were arrested and charged with wasteful employment of the police’s time.

Two days later, both appeared before Magistrate Gloria Jasmath at the Tunapuna Magistrates’ Court where they pleaded guilty. In the presence of her attorney, Rampersad said, “We decided to call there and say that I was kidnapped. I wish to say that I am sorry to the people I hurt, but I did what I did for a good cause.” The court heard that Rampersad wanted the money to assist Joseph with his education.

Magistrate Jasmath ordered both Rampersad and Joseph to each serve nine months in prison with hard labour, although the maximum sentence under the 1997 Act was six months. Both defendants were taken to jail, but her attorney Ravi Rajcoomar said Rampersad was out of jail after one week on appeal of the sentence. Joseph did not appeal and served the nine-month sentence.

Before sentence was passed yesterday, the court heard from Alicia Des Vignes, a community service officer for the past two years. She explained that Rampersad would have a 12-month period in which to serve her 100 hours. After the service is completed, Des Vignes said a report would be compiled and submitted to the court showing that the sentence was over.

Rampersad was later taken to the Community Service Department to sign the agreement for her to serve 100 hours as the sentence of the court, in accordance with the Community Service Act.


"She faked kidnapping to raise $100,000"

More in this section