The victim, Christopher Yudister Lalchan, 18, of Wellington Road, Debe, died at the San Fernando hospital last Tuesday. The teen worked with the Unemployed Relief Programme at the Penal/Debe Regional Corporation. He had been warded for leptospirosis, a bacterial disease that affects both humans and animals. The victim’s aunt, Annette Basdeo, said yesterday that Lalchan’s ordeal began last Saturday at a Hindu temple in Guaracara, Williamsville, where he was engaged in pre-Divali celebrations. She said he had been staying in Williamsville with other devotees over the last few weeks.
She said on Saturday, while at the temple, Lalchan began experiencing fever and body aches, accompanied by vomiting. She said he waited for three hours in pain before an ambulance came to transport him to the hospital. Basdeo said doctors at the hospital prescribed Panadol for Lalchan and sent him home at about 3 am Sunday. She said on Monday he was “vomiting blood and he went back to the hospital”
“The doctors were treating him for a leg pain instead of the body pain,” Basdeo said.
Several attempts to reach the Chairman of the South-west Regional Health Authority Dr Lackram Bodoe were unsuccessful.