|Police: No arrests yet in Seetahal murder |
Monday, May 12 2014
Police have denied the arrest of any suspect in the murder of Dana Seetahal SC.
Sunday Newsday’s lead story yesterday, “Suspect held”, reported that a main suspect had been held by police at a house in Arima, at about 8.30 pm on Saturday night. The story was based on information from sources known to be credible.
Searches were also carried out on Friday night in Petit Valley, Carapo and Enterprise in search of suspects identified from video footage of the shooting death of Seetahal, Sunday Newsday was informed.
Other media also reported arrests had been made, indicating four persons were detained in connection with the killing.
However, Acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams, Assistant Commissioner of Police Wayne Dick, the head of the Homicide Investigations Bureau, and National Security Minister Gary Griffith all said yesterday the reports were inaccurate and no suspect had been detained.
When contacted, Williams described the information as “false” while Dick said he had made no arrests and investigations were ongoing.
Griffith said it was unfortunate that inaccurate information was given by sources and reiterated that no one has been held for the murder of Seetahal.
Seetahal, 59, was killed during an ambush at Hamilton Holder Street, Woodbrook, on her way home to One Woodbrook Place from Ma Pau casino, early on the morning of May 4. She was cremated on Thursday last after a funeral service at the Aramalaya Presbyterian Church, Tunapuna.