|72 confirmed Swine Flu cases, 8 deaths |
Saturday, January 30 2016
AS OF yesterday, 72 persons have been confirmed with the H1N1 virus also known as the swine flu, and the fatality figure remains at eight, according to Heath Minister Terrence Deyalsingh .
Deyalsingh said that to date, 116,000 H1N1 doses of vaccines have been made available to the population, a far cry from the average 6,000 administered over the past six years .
“We have another shipment of 50,000 doses coming in within the next three weeks,” he said .
At last Friday’s press conference, Deyalsingh had reported 68 confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus and seven fatalities. However, one patient infected with the virus died last Saturday. On December 21, a total of 29 persons had been confirmed as having contracted the H1N1 virus, with three fatalities. Two doctors had also contracted the H1N1 virus .
Because of the seriousness with which the ministry and the population have been dealing with the H1N1 virus, Deyalsingh said the country now has an “absorptive capacity of 116,000 doses of H1N1 doses of vaccines.” From 2009 to 2014, he said, TT had an absorptive capacity of 6,000 doses even though there would have been about 10,000 to 15,000 doses on hand. On an average, 50 percent of the vaccines in the past were dumped .
“On assuming office we have ramped up the response to vaccination to an absorptive capacity of 116,000 .
His aim as Health Minister, he said, was to use the best advice he had which was to try to vaccinate at least about ten percent of the general population in keeping with global standards .