He was laid to rest at the public cemetery in La Romaine.

Grieving relatives and friends gathered at the mosque to view Edoo’s body in a casket at about 4 pm. His father George appeared to be in a state of shock after the service ended before 6 pm.

Emotional and frail looking, George, dressed in a white shirt and black pants, trembled as he spoke to Newsday after the service saying, “I do not know why anyone would want to kill my son.”

He said Ahmeed visited him regularly at his home in Palmiste.

“Just the day before yesterday he was by me, then I heard this news. I do not know of any one who threatened to kill him, he was a nice person,” George said.

According to police reports, at about midnight on Thursday, a passer-by proceeding along the Toruba Main Road stopped his vehicle when he spotted a Hilux truck switched on with a man’s head down on the steering wheel.

Police said the park lights of the Hilux were still on. Investigators are working on the theory that Ahmeed was robbed and killed since his wallet was found empty inside the Hilux. They are also considering other motives for his murder. Ahmeed had a single gunshot wound to the back of his head.

Ahmeed, a father of one, lived at Kenneth Drive, Gopaul Lands, Marabella and worked as a lecturer at the University of the West Indies. His wife operated a private law firm in Marabella. Ahmeed was also president of the Marabella Asja Mosque.

Relatives believe Ahmeed was returning to his home from the mosque on the night he was killed.

His cousin, Liaquat Shah, told Newsday he did not know what could have led to Ahmeed’s death. “My cousin was a religious person and was very involved in his faith,” Shah said.

Vice president of the mosque, Ishmael Mohammed, said he did not know if Ahmeed had been threatened by anyone.

Shah and Mohammed said there were recent concerns about the practices at the mosque which several members disagreed with but could not say if this had anything to do with Ahmeed’s killing.

Inspector Zamsheed Moham-med, Cpl Antonio Ramadin and other investigators were at the scene of his murder on Thursday night. Cpl Ramadin is continuing the investigation.



More in this section