Carmine Serveous of Cornelio Street totally agree with the State implemented curfew.
“I have lived in this area for the past 27 years, and have been facing problems with people parking indiscriminately, causing a lot of traffic and being a nuisance. Since Monday, we have had the much sought peace,” Serveous said.
Joyce Gangaram of Luis Street, in Woodbrook, said she and her family were in high praise for the move by the Government, as she could now sleep at nights.
“It is so quiet now that we could actually sleep. There are no cars on the road, or loud music,” Gangaram said. She explained that the all-night excessive noise from the “avenue” on Friday nights, and on the weekends, made it almost “impossible” to sleep.
Over on Rosalino Street, Helen Museley said she can “actually” have a “good night’s rest” now as it was for the first time in 15 years the area was quiet at night. “I wished it could be like this for a longer period”.
She said usually, she would have had to deal with noise at all hours from patrons on Ariapita Avenue as well as from cars blaring loud music.
“People talk loudly and make noise, as well as park in front of my gate so I can’t even get out,” she said.
Museley said she welcomed the limited state of emergency as crime in the area had increased over the years.
“There are petty crimes, such as drive-by hold ups, where others would rob people liming in the streets at night. This initiative will hopefully deal with all those problems,” she said.
One French Street resident, Jonathan Crevalles, noted that the curfew in the area, “was a blessing”. He said the residents had been calling for similar action in the area for years.
“I am so happy that something is being done to address this problem,” he said. Meanwhile, checks by Newsday at gas stations and supermarkets yesterday revealed the public was not “panic buying” in response to the imposed curfew, and state of emergency.
Supervisor at the NP station on Tragarete Road, Port-of-Spain, said sales were normal and the public was not in any panic mode to fuel vehicles.
Shirley Gonzales of NP’s Richmond Street Service Station said there were no instances of panic buying. “However, on Monday, the first day of the state of emergency there were extra customers, but nothing to suggest the public was in a panic mode,” she said.
Ken Medford, president of the Petroleum Dealers Association also told Newsday yesterday that his association received no reports of panic buying from its members.
“Supplies have been constant and everything is running smoothly. However earlier today (yesterday) there were some additional customers which seemed to result from a rumour that Petrotrin workers had walked off the job. This proved to be false,” Medford said.
Various supermarkets in Port-of-Spain also reported “normal” sales and nothing to suggest panic buying.
Kevin Raymond, floor manager of Jumbo Foods, Barataria said customer traffic had been normal, with a slight hike in sales around 6 pm as the store closed at 7 pm.
“We always get a rush at this time so there is nothing strange about that,” he said.
Over at HiLo Food Store, French Street, Woodbrook and Tru Value, Long Circular Mall similar sentiments were reported.